Tuesday 26 July 2011

HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD RETURN A WALLET?




  • IF YOU FOUND A LARGE AMOUNT OF CASH

  • DO YOU KEEP IT? DONATE IT? TAKE TO THE POLICE?

    
    

    I was read in the news about the teens that found $1200 cash and turn it to the police, that then found the righteous owner.

    We read in the news all kind of good samaritans.

    Putting this question to someone, told me that depends on the amount. I mean,  if only a few dollars, it'd be impractical to trace back to its proper owner. Massive amounts of money, though, should be traced back (and reported to the police). But to be honest, there's no reason to burden the police with tracking the proper ownership of a single dollar or even several dozen dollars, and there's not a good way to verify the actual owner even if it was.

    That said, if the owner is known, the money should be returned, but even if the money is not returned it could serve as a lesson to the owner that valuables should be taken care of.

    

    Of course, the real question of what I'd do is tricky. Naturally, my answer would be to donate it. Practical matters would get in the way of this... Like I said, first lets take it to the police and let them find the owner and hope for a reward.  If the owner can't be found hope for the rule - finds keepers and just smile!


    1 comment:

    1. Excuse my grammar error. Next time I will try to read it before posting.

      ReplyDelete